paul.raulerson;693720 Wrote:

> <snip>
>
> As for a large number of people, well, where there is smoke, you can
> bet some form of combustion is happening. The reasons or explanations
> the give are probably less than accurate, but that something is
> happening is probably pretty likely. Again, YMMV.
>
> Paul

We already found the fire several decades ago , it is called placebo
effect expectational bias or confirmation bias or perceptual bias hence
why measurements and -controlled- listening test (ABX or similar ) is
used when developing audio . This may be hard to do at home just keep
in mind that any sighthed testing have these side effect and they are
not optional they are always there there is no golden eared way to
mentally block this.
So skepticism is good here "I heard what" ?
The perceptual bias effects is in case of subtle differences bigger
than what you try to assess .

Hence why people hear differences between properly designed digital
transports in sigthed tests and report anecdotes about it while in the
real world such differences are extremely unlikely and the bias effect
is extremely likely.

People will always experience differences in sighted test of anything
that is a proven null, it migth be cheese or wine or whatever .

This effect has been used to great effect, there is an classic
experiment where people in a workplace had access to a knob where they
could adjust room temperature in a small interval (so they where told )
and they enjoyed their workplace much more, this sense of control was
very beneficial. Of course the knob did absolutely nothing .

And this one.

"
you hear a difference between say, a $5 USB cable and a $50 one, then
it is probably not worth the bother to blind test, and I would just buy
the $50 one and be happy.
"

The snake oil sales guys love customers like you :) when you are
accustomed to pay 50$ you may later on "improve" this with a say 100$
one

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )