paul.raulerson;693884 Wrote:
> I wasn't ready to dismiss it as swamp gas, because there is a
> possibility that something is going on I don't understand.
THe problem with this approach is that there is always such a
possibility, so we wouldn't ever be able to dismiss anything. We have
to use a scientific approach to filter out the likely from the probable
from the vanishingly unlikely. Otherwise we'd waste our lives chasing
rainbows.

I think that it is this kind of refusal to apply quality control to
hypotheses which frustrates some members, especially in the field of
audio reproduction, where it obvious that there are many, many, fools
and charlatans operating.
darrenyeats;693915 Wrote:

> The issue here is not whether differences were heard. Rather we should
> accept they were heard and set about discovering why. We know
> expectation bias is one possibility and we know differences in the
> files is not a possibility. However, there may be other possibilities
> in terms of the listening test.

Yes - placebos actually work. The oft-quoted example from medicine is
that recipients of a sugar pill sometimes get better. The belief that
they are being treated (and the attention of the doctor) is enough to
instigate recovery.

The audio version of this could be a bog-standard cable, dressed up to
look expensive and supplied with premium packaging, some blurb about
what makes it superior and instructions on proper use (directionality
and the like). The whole ritual involved in selecting, buying and
fitting such a cable may well lead to a "real" perception of improved
sound. The problem is that the final step in the audio chain is within
the human mind.

Such a cable is still a fraud, because the engineering claims made are
lies, even if the end result is a perception of improved sound in the
mind of the user.

The placebo effect is very powerful - even more at odds with common
sense is that it can work even if the subject knows, at least on an
intellectual level, that they are getting nothing more than a placebo.

The human mind is extremely gullible. There are good explanations of
why this is the case in the field of evolutionary psychology. The whole
point of the scientific method is to recognise and mitigate these
effects. In the field of audio, it means we need to be very careful
(and very sceptical) indeed.

--
darrell