TheOctavist wrote:
> I have done this often to bands I record(or to myself). I do a take, and
> hit a switch on , say an eq only to hear "damn that was good" ...but I
> hadn't engaged anything at all, but put it from OFF into bypass mode. .
>

> I do this with bands too. ill say "im going to change this compressor a
> bit" and without doing anything, I replay the take, they go "damn brah,
> that sounds much better"

This is the opposite of a double blind test, it's an schoolbook example
of expectation bias, one factor you remove with a properly designed
double blind test, and clearly demonstrates why it is necessary with a
double blind test. If I "know" you are now playing the "better" system I
tend to "hear" that.

If you cant tell two systems apart, one of which in a sighted test
exhibits an immidiate, "blow you away", 100* better difference, without
knowing which system you are listening to my bet is on expectation
bias.

This has nothing to do with your right to buy expensive violet cables
and feeling better when listening to your music. But, if you can't tell
them apart from much cheaper cables in a double blind test you should be
honest to yourself and admit it's not the "better" cable per se that is
causing your added pleasure, maybe it's because you can afford the
"best" cables, or the cables someone you regards as a audiophile guru?

Mike