lake_eleven wrote:
> Is running Fidelizer (or other server mods/tools) on the LMS server
> system beneficial in any way to EDO app or the SBT its
>
> Also, is server decoding to PCM helpful?

No and "No" .

Touch is not a sound card so whatever happens in audio drivers etc on
the server is irrelevant . And so is any other process optimisation at
the server as long as the network can keep the players buffer full .
That's the beauty of the squeezebox design any server sound the same,
not like when connecting a pc directly to a DAC via spdiff or USB then I
can imagine that there is cause for some concerns .

Server decoding can actually be helpful for lossy formats, an mp3
decoder like lame works and sounds better than the onboard options this
effect is not always audible on all mp3's btw so no panic . But for
lossles formats like FLAC no way !
However if you use ALAC or AIFF Touch can be buggy and some files like
24/96 won't work properly .
If you have droves of 24/96 ALAC or aiff files you might set those to
server decoding, just to make them work in all circumstances ( if they
work sound is the same here to )

A reason why this myth that WAV is better than FLAC might persist is
replay gain tags in FLAC files .
In such case you can end up with WAV files that are simply louder than
the FLAC file.
unless you turn off the squeezebox replay gain and smart gain functions,
I have all those off I don't mind twiddle on the volume controll a bit,
in fact I find perfectly natural :) why should not different kinds of
music have different loudness ?