Mnyb wrote:
> The ultra seems a popular choice .
>
> Competitors would be vortexbox, HP proliant microserver .
>
> A shuttle or other barebones small PC, some higher end Synology modell
> .
>
> There are a bunch of plug computers and ARM based devices that are
> popular , if one will sacrifice some performance for the powersaving and
> can live without transcoding options .
>
> x86 or some of the latest arm devices .
>
> I think gary had the old ReadyNAS duo ,wich was very slow and had very
> little ram :-/
>

> As I understand a NAS is more expensive than a barebones diy /vortexbox
> /microserver but offers other pre-installed features if you like som of
> the other features that a NAS vendor offers this may be your choice .
> If it's only for the squeezeboxserver you can get more bang for the buck
> elsewhere .

yep, I had the old readynas duo. My understanding is that the new
version is much better/faster.  Mnyb makes a critical point for you. If
the reason for the NAS is only serving music to the SB, you don't need
the extra expense of the NAS and its extra stuff.   This said, I can do
lots of "NAS" type stuff with my Vortexbox Appliance.  That is, it holds
my music, runs LMS to serve the music, but I can also store any sort of
files there that I can transfer to/from other computers on my local
network (so I keep all my backup photos, word, excel, etc. files there).
The vortexbox drives are mapped to a "letter" drive on my laptop and I
can move files around just like they are on a local harddrive of my
laptop.  The vortexbox also has the ability to run programs that can
deal with serving video files to networked video players (Boxee, etc.).
People report good results with using Windows Home Server software on a
"headless" computer as well.