Veovis wrote:
> I think that device works with most USB dacs and S/PDIF converters that
> have a type B female and may be useful if the dac/converter itself is
> powered only by USB, such as the V-links. You simply connect your
> USB-cable with the Aqvox and then the Aqvox to the Dac/converter. The
> Aqvox supposedly provides cleaner power compared to the USB host's own.
> A local Hi-fi magazine tested it recently with good results.
>
> The V-link 192 is galvanically isolated (the V-link II is not) so it
> should not be very sensitive to noice from the USB host. I tried cutting
> the shield on a simple USB cable anyway and noticed a significant
> difference with the V-link 192. That should not account for the
> percieved difference in sound quality between 0.6 and 0.7 though, but
> now I have no problems at all with the sound of 0.7. Although I haven't
> tried to go back to 0.6 I'm willing to confess that the differences I
> experienced may not be there. I switched to 0.7 after a pretty long
> listening session and that may account for my experience. My apologies
> to Triode. Now I believe the sound I get from the Touch and the V-link
> 192 beats any source I've ever used. It definitely beats the S/PDIF out
> from the Touch.

think the vlink 192 is galvanically isolated on the output, so any usb
noise will affect the sound.

To conclude, the Touch is just too noisy to live in revealing system.
The EDO mod shows up the inadequacies of the spdif out, but the EDO mod
introduces noise itself, not least the 2500 per second usb interrupts.

To get a real idea of what computer music should sound like try
listening to jplay xtreme kernel out using foobar2000, usb out from the
laptop to a vlink 192, absolutely stunning sound.

have spliced the 5v linear supply into the usb cable and cut the usb
screen.

not heard anything better.

In theory, a small linux box should beat a laptop for sound quality, but
don't think the touch will be able to.