mlsstl wrote:
> A couple of thoughts...
>
> First, my system has to share a room with lots of other stuff from
> modern life. Besides the Squeezebox Touch with an amp & speakers, there
> is a TV, Roku, laptop, switch, Kindle Fire, cell phones, a cordless
> phone, my daughter's iPad and occasionally her laptop. I control the
> volume with the Touch's volume control so the amp is set fairly wide
> open. Even with my ear to the speaker, I've never heard the slightest
> hint of EMI breakthrough on the stereo speakers. I've also never heard a
> change in sound quality in the system that I can attribute to which of
> the devices are present in the room or which ones are on or off. (The
> only breakthrough problem I ever had was when I had a turntable in the
> system and the guy a couple of houses away would broadcast on his
> shortwave radio through the antenna on the outdoor tower. The neighbor
> and his tower are still there but the Touch seems completely immune.)
>
> Second, radio wave strength follows the inverse square rule, so even a
> foot or two is a lot of distance compared to having gear immediately
> adjacent to each other.
>
> Third, I don't think it is a particularly unusual complaint that some
> high-end electronic devices willingly sacrifice some of the traditional
> signal isolation methods commonly used in the communications industry
> and scientific equipment. Some pieces of fancy equipment may indeed be
> more susceptible to interference than even middle market gear.
>
> Finally, the effects that people claim to hear are often at the edge of
> perception and rarely are subject to any repeatable test criteria.
>
> I know that I'm the biggest variable there is in my system. Perhaps it
> is just my aged hearing, decrepit mind or inferior system, but when I
> have to strain to decide if what I'm hearing is real or imagined, I've
> ceased to worry much about it. That makes it a lot easier to just enjoy
> the music.  ;-)

Yeh John is on the weird edge here ?? these are corner cases, normally
you don't have system wide interference from several rooms away or such
on perceivable levels

Cell phones can make it in if your close enough a feet as you say.

But something must be technically wrong if the rf from a wireless mouse
find it's way in , are we talking tube hif here or ?

But a factor is weird audiophile grade equipment as you say , there was
some fetish in having things with very high slewrate and thus ultra wide
bandwith especially in power amps vs a more level headed company as Quad
always have bandwith limited inputs to not get exactly those problerms
we where discussing .
And even more daft stuff like no shielded casing is it not dnm that
thinks metal cases "sounds bad" :)

There is another factor improper equipment setup especially grounding
,not all outlets have a ground prong (maybe in GB ) but some hifi is
designed to be grounded some people don't install a grounded outlet to
the hifi (but indulge in voodo power cables instead, eh).
I had an power amp that did receive FM radio I could not get why untill
I've found out that the seller gave me the wrong power cable it did not
have ground .

Another case of wrong grounding can be shielded cat6 cables, that is
used in way that gives you ground loops, simply at home do not use
shielded Ethernet it has an application in very harsh industrial
settings

To be practical I don’t hear a difference pulling the plug SBGK did not
hear a difference and many more forum members do not I think it is a
valid enough test , there might be rare weird exceptions , but it is so
audiophile to always seek the fringe explanation .
In most cases folks hifi equipment are not subject to subtle sq changes
due to interference .

I have not upgraded hifi in years I also enjoy the music .

And lets not forget some basics that must be disproved before any subtle
source mod is to be taken seriously .

There is not even a case for that we can hear a difference between *any*
source component if the source is reasonably well designed and the DAC
is reasonably well designed , if ie nothing is technically wrong all
source components sound the same into a DAC .
This is usually the case in scientifically conducted tests , but this is
a reasonable provisional fact imo  .

So why not just use a suitable digital cable (BJ or similar not boutique
stuff ) connect the unmodified Touch to your dac or processor and enjoy
the music :) it works just try .