The formula for hearing recorded music at its very best is:

- Great electronics throughout the chain (no weak links) driving great
speakers
- Position speakers and listening position with little or no compromise
(start at the "thirds")
- clean the electricity with a conditioner (lowers noise floor)
- install passive room acoustic treatment such as cylinder bass traps
(must address early reflections on the side walls and floor and large
diameter bass traps)
- track down the finest mastering of any given album.  easy example, the
entire CCR catalog is mastered by Steve Hoffman on the Analogue
Productions label (hybrid SACD).
- sit back and enjoy the "magic".

Identifying great mastering work is overlooked and I can't explain why.
Sure, it's not easy to figure it out, but it's worth the effort.  There
are dozens and dozens of examples where the earliest digital mastering
remains the very best or are at the very least FAR better than loudness
era remaster.  Additionally, out of print DCC Gold (Hoffman) can be
pricey, but many remain the best (McCartney).  For those who appreciate
music recorded from the 50s to the 80s, then understanding that the
mastering is the key is essential.  I cringe at the thought that so many
audiophiles ignore their digital front end under the impression that CDs
can only sound mediocre.