jh901 wrote:
> The Transporter's DAC is not capable of reproducing sound anywhere near
> the level of my Cary 306 SACD, which is a great player, but a solid
> notch down on top shelf DACs.  That is, one will hear a clear and
> convincing improvement (Cary over Transporter) in all aspects of
> fidelity in a system comprised of gear capable of reproducing the finest
> detail.  I feel badly for anyone participating in discussion on an
> "Audiophile" forum who has never had the experience of hearing a true
> hi-end DAC in their own system.
>
> Note that a DAC won't make much difference in a low or mid-fi system.  A
> hi-end DAC, or any other hi-end component, won't make much difference in
> an untreated listening space with the speakers in the corners and the
> listening position back up agains the wall.  Likewise, a comparison of a
> Porsche 911 and a Toyota Camry on black ice will both turn out the same.

I'm sick. That is sick of hearing how great your stereo system and how
crappy my system is and how I'll never be able to hear the difference
between a mega-buck DAC and the Touch's built-in DAC. Nonsense. First
you know absolutely nothing about my stereo system, which is pretty damn
good and happens to sound fantastic.

For the record: Transporter -> balanced analog outputs -> Sim Audio
Celeste P-5002 pre-amp -> Sim Audio Moon W-5 power amp -> Vandersteen
Model 3A Signature speakers with one Vandersteen Model 2wq subwoofer.
The system is well set up as per Vandersteen's guidelines and includes
Cardas cables and wires. I also have a McCormack UDP-1 universal disc
player and a Linn LP-12 turntable with the Lingo power supply, an Ittok
IV II tonearm, a Grado Reference cartridge and a Grado phono pre-amp.

Okay so now you know a little something about my stereo system. Add this
the fact that my listening position is not up against the wall and the
speakers are not in the corners. I am 100% certain that running the
digital outputs of the Transporter into any and all mega-buck DACs will
NOT produce a night and day difference in the sound over the
Transporter's analog outputs. Will it sound "different"? Sure but not
night and day different and perhaps not even enough of a positive sonic
improvement to really matter.

Now if I had shelled out $20,000 on a DAC I would sure as hell be on
this forum singing a completely different story because I would
desperately need to somehow validate why in God's name I had spent
$20,000 when I could have spent $2,000 for an equally nice sounding DAC.