jh901 wrote:
> Seriously, if you can find a professional review of any of the serious
> hi-end units mentioned here suggesting that there isn't much difference,
> etc, then please post.  Contrary to the belief of the majority, those
> who spend many thousands on a CD player are generally very well-informed
> and aren't out to waste money.

If what you mean by "a professional review" is a review by one of those
clowns from any of the various "high end" audio magazines then of course
you will proven correct. These reviewers as much professional audio
reviewers as I am a professional cyclist. By that I mean I ride a
bicycle many miles per year but that does not make me a professional.
Most, if not all, of these writers but not earn their living reviewing
audio equipment, sure the magazines pay them a mere pittance for their
"expert opinions" but most their compensation comes in the form of
insider pricing and getting to rub elbows with the manufacturers.

In other words, they are a JOKE, doing things like promoting super
expensive digital cables, over priced software to make their hopelessly
inept (when it comes to audio playback) Macs sound good, glorifying
artistically worthless audiophile recordings, using elaborate array of
mumbo jumbo and other made up nonsense to convey a sense of importance
to their imagined observations and too many other sins to list here. The
Absolute Sound's three part series on computer based digital audio
published last year went a long way in reveling to what lengths these
shills would go to protect their advertisers at the expense of the
readers and the truth.

And contrary to your belief, those who spend many thousands on a CD
player are generally very much misinformed (by the fools described
above) and are wasting lots of money however most of them don't care
because they have lots of money to waste.

And finally, as I've stated over and over, either the Benchmark DAC2 or
the Weiss used in a super-mega-buck audio system would be
indistinguishable from any of the super-mega-buck DACs currently
available, except of course for their solid faceplate, constructed out
aircraft quality aluminum.