bhaagensen wrote:

> So... How do we get on with this discussion? I suggest we all agree to
> visit our local dealers [or borrow some gear] and have a listen to some
> budget vs. very expensive setups, and then report back here starting
> with a summary of setup, what happened, etc.

I have issued this very challenge.  But why?  What do I have to gain?  I
don't sell gear.

When I discover something (such as fidelity of reproduced sound) that I
could not have otherwise believed without personal experience, then I
feel obligated to delicately shove others most likely to enjoy what I've
discovered.  My own personal experiences are being questioned.
Interesting.  Try to help members and get ripped!?

The notion that all DACs sound the same in a top notch system is
ridiculous and to read this on on audiophile forum is troubling.  There
will be a good bit of BS in any hobby, but we are talking about digital
front ends and not thousand dollar power cords.  The thread topic is
intended to encourage discussion about the latest from the likes of dCS,
but instead members are settling for the "it couldn't be better than
mine" or "how much better could it get" arguments.  Why!?

The flagship offering from Naim (WITH the external power supply), those
from dCS, and from Playback Designs, etc- in other words, the firms with
the top minds in digital audio- are not to be taken lightly or
disrespected.  Now then, go one notch down from the $15 grand+ units and
give the Cary 306 SACD Pro a chance.  Borrow one.  If you really care,
just humor me.  Cary's reputation since the early 90s has been VALUE.
You won't be able to read anything bad about their flagship pre-amp
(SLP-05) and likewise you won't find anything but high praise for the
306.

Open your mind and your ears and give something unexpected a chance.