jh901 wrote:
> Gotta get a hi-end DAC involved.  You will forget about the Transporter
> analog outs in a heartbeat.  If you live anywhere within a hundred miles
> of a Cary, dCS, Playback Designs, etc dealer, then I urge you to borrow
> a burned in unit for a few hours.  It will be worth it simply for the
> post describing your experience in this thread.  LOL.  I predict it will
> be a classic.

I've heard dCS at shows several times. They've always been great
sounding systems. But, impressed, I wandered over to the loudspeakers on
each occasion...I'm not a high-end source believer! Sure, some of these
high end front ends sound great.

But I believe well-engineered digital sources which are designed for
transparency will all sound very similar, if not identical, on the
highest end systems available. Anything which sounds distinctly
different is probably designed to sound exactly that way, not to be
transparent.

What happened to megabuck CD players--Krell etc-- from the 90s? No doubt
they were good for their time but their performance has been eclipsed by
cheap modern DACs. Technical advancement in the digital domain is much
quicker than the traditional hi-fi! When I wonder if a megabuck source
would help, I remind myself about those old megabuck CD players and how
they are good for door stops now.

My view is that Benchmark DAC2, Weiss are currently top draw from a
technical performance POV despite being cheaper than ultra high-end.
Darren

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2