ralph and jh: this discussion is kind of interesting, but seriously - do
you actually have evidence to support your claims about the intellect of
folks who spend a lot of money on hi-fi? If you do, I'd love to see the
statistics?

As to wether there are differences or not. We are some that, from
experience, think there is, and some do not. These are fact and none of
us are going to become converts simply by reading that the other party
claims otherwise.

So... How do we get on with this discussion? I suggest we all agree to
visit our local dealers [or borrow some gear] and have a listen to some
budget vs. very expensive setups, and then report back here starting
with a summary of setup, what happened, etc.

Could be interesting. Maybe we still won't reach the same conclusions,
but its a way of making the discussion relevant instead of resorting to
claims of stupidity of other people - besides any references to 3rd
party experiences in these matters seldomly contributes constructively
to these discissions.