bhaagensen wrote:
> At some point you have to acknowledge that not everyone agrees with you
> in this - its a premise of this entire discussion - like it or not.
>
> Anyway. The point is that USB is a better protocol and using it avoids
> the hoops one has to go through to achieve something similar over an
> spdif-link. Adsitionally I suspekt the hardware costs of USB are as
> insignificant as for spdif. I have only little knowledge inside the
> electronics enterprises, so I wont predict, but a shift to USB makes
> sense.
>
> (Just to be clear, (boutique) highfi is not going to set the agenda in
> this development anyway)

I think the real point is perspective , or the lack of it in high end.

+ better USB audio was designed for getting better sound from computers
not to replace spdiff toslink or hdmi on hifi.

+ However it seems that in some cases they actually managed to improve
over god old spdiff/coax so yes USB is better than spdiff -when done
correctly- .

But:

- all this seems so very implementation dependent ,there seems to be no
good way to simply determine which is best it's down to the specific
transport dac combination .
USB is better-when done correctly- on some cases not, there or some old
implementations that actually are far worse in the beginning of USB
audio that was the general case.

- No human being will ever be able to tell a good enough spdiff
implementation and a good enough USB implementation apart in a
controlled test .

So in reality it does not seem to matter that much another of the none
problems hi end hifi will "solve" for us it's hyped way beyond all
reasonable proportions even if it's actually a good thing that enhances
usability of a dac and a computer ?

If I where to pick a dac today I would not make the existence or lack of
USB connector a primary deciding factor , if had several contenders for
my dac purchase that where otherwise equal I would go for the one with
most connectors possibly including USB .
I do like hifi equipment with options , I don't want to be stuck unable
to connect stuff or play certain formats and so on, and I would pay
attention to what kind of USB it was .