RonM wrote:
> Well, what I am saying is that we have to be careful drawing conclusions
> based only on subjective experience.  Maybe those high priced bits
> actually work, but I would be very reluctant to believe this without
> properly controlled evidence.
>
> Ron

What about the subjective -design process- of some of the high price
bits .

best case scenario as suggested by ralphy the $$$ goes down a sink hole
and does nothing the high price powercord performs the same as the
cheapest one .

Worst case , the "designer" throws away conventional science and make up
his own reality and built things like audio note ongaku that cost more
than some peoples homes and is outperformed by stuff found at the local
flea market.

The in-between case the product is fine but $$$ is added due to some
applied pseudoscience over designing power supplies is for example a
benign but costly add on , good ps is the way to go but at a point it is
good enough for the circuit is should power.

And objective design process would yield better products for the same
money or the designer would just stop throwing money at problem when
performance goals where met.

For example seriously how much can simple thing like preamp really cost
? Naim NA552 any one ? or
http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Rubicon-Atomic-AD-DA-Preamp for
only 40k$

Or in many cases the design process is not subjective at all it is only
getting totally perverted by the belief system of the audiophiles it
serves :) you got all your wishes fulfilled, now just fork up the
dough.
And it can be an engineering challenge to this ,using archaic parts and
strange topologies and still make a working design ,but not to good you
must add some choice thd and noise to get the desired signature sound of
some brands .

And speaking of subjective factors not much of the high price stuff is
wrapped up drap tin can looking boxes, this suggests that the
manufacturer of much of this stuff knows that this is an important
factor for their customers :)
A very important one, Theory : there is a certain "design language"  a
way the serious audio should look like this has developed over time .
But this has also gone ott and is just cheesy to me .
If i get enormous amounts of cash i would be cool to collect classic
hifi just because they look cool (not the modern retro styled stuff )