SoftwireEngineer wrote:
> Agree, yes theoretically (for that matter Touch is also an asynch
> transport). But there are reviews of various async usb transports in
> various forums. Actually, one person has compared 10-15 transport and
> the current kind of the hill is either the Audiophilleo or the Berkeley
> Audio Design Alpha. You can never see these in the used market yet. Very
> hot. But with my technical background, I dont have the heart to pay $1K
> or above for just a converter. I might if it shows up in the used market
> so see what the fuss is all about and then put it back on audiogon.

I updated the recent blog post a bit this AM to hopefully tighten the
thoughts.

When I thought about putting up this recent "laptop survey", my thought
was both in regard to content (ie. measurements themselves) and process
(ie. how to think about the results and work towards better technical
quality). I had in mind targeting this article to the folks on Audio
Asylum rather than this forum since many of you guys have followed my
thinking in this thread over the months.

Over on AA 'Computer Audiophile' forum, I don't think a week goes by
without someone posting something on how HD's are better than SSD's, or
Mac's are superior, among the usual comments on $$$ cables. It's bizarre
that in audio forums where manufacturers, reviewers, and users
intermingle, there's so little FACTUAL content and so much disregard for
empirical measurements, logic, and common sense!

As for something like the Audiophileo, it's a pretty package! But how
good is the jitter reduction? How does it compare with the CM6631A? Who
knows...  It's unfortunate that I wasn't doing these tests yet at the
time - my friend had one and sold it off. BUT I can say that the $50
CM6631A has 16-bit J-Test jitter measurements on par with the excellent
Oppo BDP-105; and that's a FACT, not some subjectivist opinion.