ralphpnj wrote:
> My response is to ask you a question: why is it that only in the field
> of digital audio are two digitally identical data streams, by which I
> mean two data streams that contain the exact same digital data being
> transmitted or sourced slightly differently, e.g. wifi versus Ethernet
> or SD card versus hard drive, declared to be somehow different? NO ONE
> ever says such things about ANY other type of digitally encoded data -
> never for image files, text files, video files, etc. NEVER. It is only
> the world of high end audio with its army of well trained clowns, oops I
> meant golden eared professional reviewers, that this issue is ever
> mentioned.
>
> Billions of times each day people upload and download all kinds of
> digital data and NO ONE ever questions whether or not the downloaded
> file is equal to the uploaded file - NEVER. But in high end audio
> something happens to that damn digital data to make the files
> different.
>
> As an example of the complete absurdity of this line of thinking take
> the example of one of those "professional" audio reviewers listening to
> a high resolution audio file downloaded from HDTracks. Why is that the
> audio file can be downloaded via the internet during which time the
> digital data passes through hundred of networks, miles of inexpensive
> cable, countless switches, gets sliced and diced into hundreds of
> packets, gets reassembled and who knows what else but it is only the USB
> cable from the computer to the USB DAC that has an impact on the sound?
>
> Can someone, anyone please explain what it is about digital audio data
> that gives it this totally unique property.

Very good points. I don't think the debate is about the veracity of the
source information (like you've said, in digital world, a copy is 100%
identical to the original). So this copy can be tossed over and bounced
back-and-forth through countless channels till the cows come home, still
in the end it remains 100% faithful to its original.

Where the differences may arise is at the point where a digital copy
gets RENDERED as an analog artifact. Two identical jpeg files WILL look
strikingly (and sometimes shockingly) different on two differently
calibrated monitors. That fact is very easy to demonstrate.

Same applies to the rendition of the digitized music files. Differently
calibrated players will render the same and identical digital file
differently. Also easy to demonstrate to anyone with reasonably reliable
hearing skills.