cliveb wrote:
> That isn't how placebos work. You don't get to consciously choose
> whether you're going to give them a chance. They operate at a deep,
> subconscious level in the mind. And to suggest that the placebo effect
> works everywhere *except* audio is just silly.

+1 that is exactly why we have all this audio myths , like wav sounds
bettter than flac and the couple of thousands of other missconceptions
.

If you are aware of the effect and can counter act your bias it is per
defenition *not* bias :) nor placebo .

I think I experienced *pseudo placebo* once a freind of mine
experimented with biwiring adn invited me (a practice that probably
makes things worse if it does something at all ) we experimented with
swapping cables etc .

After a while we discovered that we had the short circuit jumpers still
installed in the speakers :blush: somehow we managed to ignore the
consequnce (ah the power of the mind and perceptive bias ) and I managed
to be a cargo cult member for years to come anyway . That was a while
before my proper engineering education .

But i managed to be an audiophool despite this for years , but
eventually reality won the day , years of engineering gnaws away on the
most silly beliefs system and eventually you get an aha moment , you
knowledge haas been building in your head and suddenly "f*ck this is all
pants :)".

To keep Garym calm , I was properly cured from audiophilia before I for
example was doing any work on core recirculation pumps in nuclear
reactors .