cliveb wrote:
> That isn't how placebos work. You don't get to consciously choose
> whether you're going to give them a chance. They operate at a deep,
> subconscious level in the mind. And to suggest that the placebo effect
> works everywhere *except* audio is just silly.

It IS possible, though, to think of placebos in an audio context.

Let's say that the objective of the study is to determine the extent to
which audio reproduction can produce euphoria.  This is similar to what
one might do with some drugs, and certainly consistent with what some
serious listeners aspire to.

Let's say we want to test the hypothesis that higher bit rate leads to
greater euphoria in the listener, relative to 16/44.

A source musical track of high performance and technical quality is
chosen, say at 24/192, and then converted to 16/44 and 24/96.  Two
"treatment conditions" are 24/96 and 24/192.  The  placebo is the
"standard" quality, 16/44.  You could also add other treatment
conditions, say lower bitrate MP3s.  Appropriate control of factors like
incremental volume, quality of conversion, etc, could be done fairly
easily.

You'd want three (or more) separate groups of appropriately matched
individuals (the groups should be as similar as possible).  One group
gets the placebo, and each of the other groups gets one of the treatment
conditions.

With an appropriate double-blind structure to the study, we can address
the question "Do the treatment conditions produce more euphoria than
standard CD quality?".  One would want to control for illicit
substances, of course.  And have a reliable measure of euphoria.  And
have sufficiently large sample sizes to allow a reasonable possibility
of statistical significance in the resuts.  We would be very interested
in the outcome.

R.