flimflam wrote:
> But what are the "steps" undertaken in re-creating the waveform? Clue:
> it's not called a smoothing filter for nothing!

Yea. But that was my point. Unless you know exactly what your waveform
is you are just as likely to AMPLIFY your noise than to SMOOTH your
signal. To really be able to "smooth" you'd have to analyse the whole
signal spectrum and you'd have to do that over some time - ideally the
whole file(to know the dynamic range). But sox doesn't do that it just
looks at a few samples. For the same reason DACs don't do it: it would
introduce too much delay and require too much buffering and processing
power.

I mean... I can call everything a "smoothing" filter, I can also call
lead "grey gold". What it actually does is another story, though.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
*New: Logitech UE Smart Radio* as well as iPeng Party, the free
Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com