satkinsn wrote:
> What a fine read! Inspirational line: " I would gladly listen to an MP3
> 192kbps of a well recorded/mastered album than a poor DSD128 or 24/192."
> It's taking some time, but I think the broader audio community is
> starting to change its mind about what's most important.
>
> s.

You must be joking!

If you mean by "the broader audio community" everyone EXCEPT audiophiles
then perhaps there may be a very small kernel of truth buried somewhere
but as far as I can tell things shake out like this:

1) In the broader non-audiophile audio community almost NO ONE cares
about sound quality, as in whatever iTunes sells is good enough and
everything iTunes sells is worthless from an audio perspective.

2) The audiophile community gets their marching orders from the various
high end audio publications, whether in print or online, and the various
high end audio publications get their marching orders from their
advertisers and their advertisers are in business to sell things. Right
now the manufacturers of DACs want people to buy new DACs and so the
need for DSD capable DACs is being drummed into audiophile's gullible
little brains.

The small kernel of truth I mentioned exists because in spite of the
above there are a very small handful of artists, producers, recording
engineers, record labels, vendors, etc. who actually care about sound
quality and NOT ripping people off. Basically whenever I come a well
recorded, great sounding recording I consider it just a very lucky
fluke.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos