garym wrote:
> Regarding ABX'ng high bit rate mp3 from FLAC, I recall that report and
> certainly believe you. There are many instances of this across people
> *on certain killer tracks/samples* (e.g., harpsichord music).  The
> question I have (and I'm serious here, not trying to kick up a fuss) is
> whether you've done something like this with say, 20 or so different
> tracks with some diversity. That is, not "killer samples" but tracks
> from different CDs, different types of music (classical, jazz, pop,
> etc.). Although it is not unusual to be able to ABX *certain" mp3 from
> FLAC files, it would be highly unusual to be able to consistently ABX
> FLAC from high bit rate mp3 across a broader sampling of music files.

Back then I tested multiple tracks out of three CDs with different
genres. On two of them I could discern the original from the data
reduced version. With Pop and Jazz it was possible to do so with
statistic significance, the Pop-one even on a significance level of 1
percent. Surprisingly my choice for classical music wasn't discernable.

I don't own any harpsichord solo records. What a dull instrument IMHO.
No dynamics at all by design! That's why harpsichord recordings often
sound extremely loud, you don't have to compress anything. After one or
two tracks I always have to switch. :-)

But let's leave the odd and wore down MP3/FLAC battle behind us. Don't
you think that claims like only-the-heraing-impaired-can-discern is a
perfect example of how people deal with cognitive dissonances?

Living Room: Squeezelite -> WDM-KS/HDMI -> NAD M51 (Rowen Swiss Edition)
-> Rowen Absolute MONO -> Quad 22L
Sleeping Room: Radio