darrenyeats wrote:
> There's probably a lot of truth to that. But sometimes you do get
> something measurable for your money. The dCS Vivaldi for example (yours
> for £80k), see figures 16 and 17 especially.
>
> http://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-vivaldi-digital-playback-system-measurements
>
> Nothing else I've seen measures like that for harmonic and IM
> distortion! Putting aside audibility for a moment, you have to admire
> the engineering achievement.
> Darren

I do admire the engineering involved and the what has been achieved on
an oscilloscope's screen and the test bench but I would not (provided of
course that I could, which I can't) pay over $100,000 for a an SACD
player and DAC. However great the vivaldi may sound I'm fairly certain
that there is another SACD player and DAC combo costing much less with
99% (if one believes in such rankings) of the great sound.

I hope that there are some people out there willing to spend the money
on state of the art and boundary stretching equipment since the
technology used in sota equipment usually filters down to the level of
affordable equipment. Sometimes it just takes a while and other times it
just cannot be made less expensive.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos