Mnyb wrote:
> I may disagree with John on the point that many subtle things are
> directly audible , but they should be considered if you design a product
> and they matter for the complete result .

> The expected result with all reasonable good digital interfaces is that
> they should sound the same . One can be technically better and that one
> should be used on its technical merit . I believe that things add up in
> the end so it's still worthwhile .
> But it's nothing to get OCD over .
> You don't need another DAC because it does not have USB or DSD  .

Very well stated. While it is not obvious from my last post but I do
agree that at least in the design phase of a piece of equipment the
designer should strive to use components that measure "better" but audio
design is not quite as "pure" as many audiophiles would like to believe.
What I mean that while the final sound of given piece of audio equipment
is important to the designer so is the final cost. So in the case where
there are two components, one which measures better than the other and
costs much more but what is being measured is in either case not audible
well...... So one may end up with a piece of audio equipment that
doesn't quite measure as well (on that particular parameter) but does
not necessarily sound "worse" than what that piece of equipment would
sound like with the more expensive and better measuring component.

I always find it amusing how audiophiles tend to have a this giant
double standard with respect to measurements, e.g. tubes measure poorly
but sound wonderful whereas non-asynchronous USB has slightly more
(inaudible) jitter than asynchronous USB so non-asynchronous USB must be
bad. Go figure.

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos