darrenyeats wrote:
> There's probably a lot of truth to that. But sometimes you do get
> something measurable for your money. The dCS Vivaldi for example (yours
> for £80k), see figures 16 and 17 especially.
>
> http://www.stereophile.com/content/dcs-vivaldi-digital-playback-system-measurements
>
> Nothing else I've seen measures like that for harmonic and IM
> distortion! Putting aside audibility for a moment, you have to admire
> the engineering achievement.
> Darren

Thats true ,but it cant be easy for them competing with the likes of
zanden and audionote who perform worse than a cheap chinese DVD player ,
when the golden ears " testing " rank things so disparately :)

You may have noticed that extrememly well performing products are rank
and file with with very poor performers in must subjective rags .
Audiophiles draws the interesting conclusion that measurements does not
tell anything .
While they are blind to the many pitfalls and obvius problems with
subjective sigthed testing .

And no the magasinens are not the worst  , se sites like 6moons etc
:confused:

I do agree that a set of measurement may not be complete and are
presented out of context and sometimes massaged and not done at the same
standard as any other manufacturer ...

But these are small quantifiable problems compared to what's going on in
the subjective testing area .
And it does not even need to be obvius fraudulent behavior ( which I
suppose it is sometimes like Ralphy sugest ).

It's in the culture they themself nurtured things have to be very
expensive and built in very expensive cases to perform and have some
fairy dust sprinkled to the design to be even considered .
Yes the Mfg cost for the box can be more than the content ,but that they
won't tell you .
And it's made even worse by the effect that the price is a part of the
product in luxury articles ! so it has to bee shamelessly hiked . Or as
some other poster said a while ago " healty disregards for cost " ! (
that poster had bought the farm literally ).
Engineering is almost an art finding the rigth solution and it does not
have to be expensive to do it .

It can be as simple as the editor of a rag or website pick the rigth
writers who spontainiusly blubbers out the gibberish needed to publish
these magazines and feed advertisers , it does not really need to be the
same expensive brands all the time . Some audiophiles seems to change
hardware just as often as teenage girls change clothes .

You can figure what this does to product quality and price the already
hiked price just got 10 times worse so that the brands can stay in
business . And product quality takes another nose dive as yet more gold
plating or pretty tubes can sell more than all the real engineering
produced by for example DcS ?

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4