Gandhi wrote:
> Placebo is well known, but could somebody perhaps recommend some good
> research regarding flaws in auditory perception?

There is of course quite a lot of psychoacoustic research published, but
Oliver Sacks has done a pretty good job of popularising some of the
stuff in "Musicophilia: Tales of Music and the Brain".

> And has anyone seen classes outside the university world, where they
> teach the principles of the scientific method?

I am very glad the International Baccalaureate diploma programme
contains a mandatory Theory of Knowledge course. Not university, but
clearly "preparing for university", so not sure it counts.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953