Gandhi wrote:

> I'd like to, but dare not use subwoofers. I have a neighbor with such a
> contraption and this buildning clearly wasn't constructed with that in
> mind. I don't want to stress my neighbors more that I already do. And I
> do. But just for adding to my brainweight, or in case I move house soon
> (I'm looking), please let me know any good ideas.

The multiple subwoofer idea is a deep rabbit hole. :D  One of its
proponents is Earl Geddes, a guy who did his Ph.D dissertation three
decades ago on acoustics of small rooms.  A good place to start might be
'_this_blog_post_'
(http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/two-great-articles-on-multiple.html),
which hosts two PDF files concerning multiple sub theory and setup
procedure written by Dr. Geddes, along with some commentary by the
blogger, who goes by the nym of DS-21 on several forums.

There's also a '_video_by_Earl_on_this_topic_'
(http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28637776/highlight/323843) which has an
associated '_PowerPoint_presentation_'
(http://gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Papers/OptimalBassPlaybackinSmallRooms.pptx)
(PPTX file), which helps, as the display of the PowerPoint slides in the
video is hard to read.  Also, this video skips the beginning of the
presentation which was disturbed by a number of technical problems with
the video equipment.  Reading the beginning of the PPTX file helps to
fill in the missing details from the beginning.

I see you're using Linux.  I'm on Windows, and LibreOffice is working
well for viewing the PPTX file.

These techniques rely on measurement capability.  I'm using the free
Room EQ Wizard, along with an inexpensive measurement mic and an
external USB sound adapter that has a mic preamp with phantom power for
the mic built in.  I see from your sig that you're using some room
correction software, so I guess you already have measurement capability.