andy_c wrote:
> The multiple subwoofer idea is a deep rabbit hole. :D  One of its
> proponents is Earl Geddes, a guy who did his Ph.D dissertation three
> decades ago on acoustics of small rooms.  A good place to start might be
> '_this_blog_post_'
> (http://seriousaudioblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/two-great-articles-on-multiple.html),
> which hosts two PDF files concerning multiple sub theory and setup
> procedure written by Dr. Geddes, along with some commentary by the
> blogger, who goes by the nym of DS-21 on several forums.
>
> There's also a '_video_by_Earl_on_this_topic_'
> (http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/28637776/highlight/323843) which has an
> associated '_PowerPoint_presentation_'
> (http://gedlee.azurewebsites.net/Papers/OptimalBassPlaybackinSmallRooms.pptx)
> (PPTX file), which helps, as the display of the PowerPoint slides in the
> video is hard to read.  Also, this video skips the beginning of the
> presentation which was disturbed by a number of technical problems with
> the video equipment.  Reading the beginning of the PPTX file helps to
> fill in the missing details from the beginning.
>
> I see you're using Linux.  I'm on Windows, and LibreOffice is working
> well for viewing the PPTX file.
>
> These techniques rely on measurement capability.  I'm using the free
> Room EQ Wizard, along with an inexpensive measurement mic and an
> external USB sound adapter that has a mic preamp with phantom power for
> the mic built in.  I see from your sig that you're using some room
> correction software, so I guess you already have measurement capability.

Interesting. I have read the PDF files and must say that most of his
points och conclusions are quite surprising to me. It's not how I have
interpreted other sources. I'm not questioning him, he seems to have
done his homework, I'm just surprised. His views are also very strong.
Do these views represent common knowledge?

I'm using REWv5 too. Very comprehensive and capable software. I have a
calibrated Behringer ECM8000 mic and a M-Audio Fast Track Pro mic
preamp. So I have the measuring capability, but apart from not wanting
to trouble my neighbors even more, I'm a bit challenged in the floor
space department.

Best Regards,
Gandhi

not often enough well recorded and mastered cds *|* dbpoweramp with
accuraterip *|* flac *|* fanless asrock z77e-itx intel i5-3570t *|*
ubuntu 12.04.1 lts 32-bit *|* lms 7.8.0 *|* brutefirdrc 3.0 *|*
transporter (balanced out) *|* thule ia252b *|* audio physic scorpio *|*
no fancy cables. *+* also some booms. *+* harmony 525s for them all,
including waking the server from s3.