ralphpnj wrote:
> While it is quite true that is plenty of high end audio equipment that
> is well designed by brilliant individuals trying to advance the state of
> the art, it is also true that is plenty of high end audio equipment that
> is just pure, over priced junk "designed" by quacks and individuals only
> looking to make a buck.

Wouldn't you have to admit that you aren't qualified to discern these so
called quacks from the real deal?  For example, the best digital front
end that you've spent considerable time with in your own system is a
stock Transporter.  Though it is inconvenient to accept, you could do
better with any number of barely hi-end DACs on the market today.  And
without question, your mind would be blown by how amazing actual hi-end
digital will sound.

PS Audio's DirectStream is one of the hot FPGA DACs today.  You can
write it off already though.  Right?  No need to borrow one for a few
weeks.  Reviewers are misrepresenting it.  Customers are subject to
being fooled by their own imaginations.  So the end game here is that
ONLY the hardest core skeptics own the facts.

Jeez, I sincerely don't get it.  What is being won or otherwise proven
here?  Is the Transporter the end of the line?  No CD player or DAC
could ever be significantly better in all aspects of sound quality?

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning