darrenyeats wrote:
> I used to rail against all compression but sometimes it's fitting, if
> done well, in certain genres. It's not welcome necessarily, but it
> doesn't spell ruin. Especially if certain elements in the mix are
> compressed and others not. If Busta Rhymes bass kicks and Two Door
> Cinema Club pops and bounces then perhaps it's okay!
I agree that appropriate compression is often necessary and has been
used for decades on rock and pop as a way of bringing recordings to
life. (Jazz as well, I dare say). But what started in the early 1990's
and has been getting worse ever since is *excessive* compression.

darrenyeats wrote:
> A good, well set up system should handle most of what's thrown at it
> with a reasonable amount of grace IMHO. A system can't or shouldn't try
> to fill in what's missing but I like my favourite music to be at least
> somewhat listenable even when not recorded very well.
It would be great if a system could make dire recordings sound good
while not trashing good recordings. But the two goals are mutually
exclusive. An accurate system that reveals good recordings in all their
glory ruthlessly exposes the dog's dinner that is modern hypercompressed
music.

Example: my wife recently bought the album Night Visions by Imagine
Dragons, which is sort-of OK-ish on a portable player or in the car (if
you like their music), but on our main system (which sounds wonderful
when fed decent recordings) it is a catastrophic train wreck.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A