jkeny wrote:
> Seems to me that this is FFT basics 101 - incorrectly interpreting the
> "grass" seen on an FFT as the "noisefloor" - in Archimago's graph
> -140dB
>
> Have a read of this document in order to understand
> http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4278/en/
>

> What is being shown in the graph is "narrowband noise level in each FFT
> bin." not the noise floor although the noise floor can be calculated
> from it given some background information.

Not at all. i was clearly referring to the discrete signal at 8 KHz,
which had been introduced in the document that I had just quoted.

The comments about the grass level being dependent on FFT bucket size
are of course right on, but it was not mentioned until you brought it up
and then it was 100% gratuitous.