doctor_big wrote:
> Well, isn't this -exciting!-
>
> Jason

As Arny is always citing "evidence for your claim" let me link to the
post & ABX log of which I speak?

Arny posted his ABX results here without a mention that he was randomly
guessing
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/1835641-mpa-vs-flac-2.html#post30564017
> The comparison was of a 24/192 file titled "15 Haydn_ String Quartet In
> D, Op_ 76, No_ 5 - Finale" to a 256 kbps MP3 based on it prepared using
> Lame. This file happens to be exact same one that was recently the star
> of an AES paper that Amir has been heaping praise onto.
>
> The playback DAC+ headphone amp was an Asus U7 which is capable of
> handling 192 KHz sample rate files with good performance.
>
> The playback transducers were the highly regarded Audio Technica ATH-M50
> headphones.
>
> The ABX log is as follows:
>
> foo_abx 2.0 beta 4 report
> foobar2000 v1.3.5
> 2015-01-06 21:04:53
>
> File A: 15 Haydn_ String Quartet In D, Op_ 76, No_ 5 - Finale - Presto +
> cues 256kbps.mp3
> SHA1: f24d8c506ae5d38fd7d3a8e7700ee8595cd5e025
> File B: 15 Haydn_ String Quartet In D, Op_ 76, No_ 5 - Finale - Presto +
> cues.wav
> SHA1: 961320fa0baa1983130304bed02df943a32cfe25
>
> Output:
> DS : Primary Sound Driver
>
> 21:04:53 : Test started.
> 21:05:18 : 00/01
> 21:05:39 : 01/02
> 21:06:39 : 02/03
> 21:06:45 : 03/04
> 21:06:47 : 04/05
> 21:06:50 : 04/06
> 21:06:54 : 04/07
> 21:06:56 : 05/08
> 21:06:58 : 06/09
> 21:06:59 : 07/10
> 21:07:01 : 07/11
> 21:07:04 : 07/12
> 21:07:05 : 08/13
> 21:07:08 : 08/14
> 21:07:10 : 08/15
> 21:07:31 : 08/16
> 21:07:31 : Test finished.
>
> ----------
> Total: 8/16
> Probability that you were guessing: 59.8%
>
> -- signature --
> b54eb2a632d09ae60dbb1c13774d4152ee32f110
>

> In short my ears are as I have said not up to this sort of thing, but to
> please Amir...

It was quickly noticed by me & others that the log revealed more than he
liked -

> Output:
> DS : Primary Sound Driver
>
> 21:04:53 : Test started.
> 21:05:18 : 00/01
> 21:05:39 : 01/02 --- 21 seconds
> 21:06:39 : 02/03 --- 60 seconds
> 21:06:45 : 03/04 --- 6 seconds
> 21:06:47 : 04/05 --- 2 seconds!!!
> 21:06:50 : 04/06 --- 3 seconds!!!
> 21:06:54 : 04/07 --- 4 seconds!!!
> 21:06:56 : 05/08 --- 2 seconds!!!
> 21:06:58 : 06/09 --- 2 seconds!!!
> 21:06:59 : 07/10 --- 1 second!!!!
> 21:07:01 : 07/11 --- 2 seconds!!!
> 21:07:04 : 07/12 --- 3 seconds!!!
> 21:07:05 : 08/13 --- 1 second!!!
> 21:07:08 : 08/14 --- 3 seconds!!!
> 21:07:10 : 08/15 --- 2 seconds!!!
> 21:07:31 : 08/16 --- 21 seconds
> 21:07:31 : Test finished.

When I brought this up on Hydrogen Audio I was told that it was quiet OK
to just guess if you can't hear any difference in the first couple of
attempts - the excuse proferred that "life is too short"