jh901 wrote:
> I do not believe that Mac or Windows based laptop storage is going to
> deliver the finest sound quality

Why not?

> I'd like to discuss the Antipodes DX or other "digital transport"
> devices.  I'd like to discuss their findings on power supply design, for
> example.  I'm attracted to the front end where one could have a physical
> SACD transport and then something like the Antipodes for audiophile
> quality ripping and storage.  Each would send PCM or DSD to a DAC which
> may or may not also function as a pre-amp.

A physical CD/SACD transport is really 20-year-old technology. What you
want is a computer drive, reading buffered blocks multiple times to
ensure a bit-perfect result.

>  "The motherboard derives from a standard board that happens to have the
> mix of the chips we like, with some minor changes to onboard power
> supply. But the big difference with the motherboard is the way it is
> tuned. All chipsets generate electronic noise that will interfere in
> some way with the signal carrying the digital data, and the level and
> frequency of the noise has an audible effect on the analog output of any
> DAC. It is easily heard – it just does not fit with the simplistic
> accepted digital theory of how these things work.

If that is the case, the best solution would be to have the
computer/motherboard part isolated from the DAC by an optical connection
- TOSLINK or optical USB, but I am not seein too many reports of optical
connections sounding vastly superior to electrical ones.

> In reality, in normal use, you won’t hear any difference between using
> 2GB and 4GB, but the extra is useful if playing during say a library
> rescan or ripping.

In reality, you won't hear a difference between 256M and 2G either, as
long as you don't get into swapping.

>     "We prefer to use open source software and believe in the eco-system
> of SqueezeBox Server and VortexBox as the best way forward (now that
> Logitech is out of it). It might not fit the ‘rock star’ mentality in
> high-end audio, but there are a number of audio firms that have got
> stuck in narrow technology silos by insisting on doing something on
> their own.
>
> "In the end open source software is better for the customer. The
> software capability of our servers continues to get better, and be
> widely supported, with or without us. All of our customisation is at the
> script level. There is a lot of customisation involved, but by keeping
> it at the script level it can remain proprietary in a Linux license
> environment."

So if I understand that correctly, they like to use open source, but
keep their own stuff proprietary? Funny enough, that seems to be a
common model for a lot of "audiophile" software - if it was open source,
we could actually verify the effect (or lack of it) of the
"optimizations", and that would probably be counter-productive for the
product vendor...

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953