Archimago wrote:
> JH901. Have you not been running a computer music server all this time!?
> Did you used to own a Squeezebox?
>
> Missing out man! It doesn't cost much to buy a simple quiet/silent
> computer and storage these days and start the ripping/tagging process!
> Invest in a good DAC and you'll be able to use it when you transfer
> things over to the machine you intend to upgrade to in a year or 2 if
> you're waiting for the market to mature! Of course, from my perspective
> sound quality is a function of the DAC, not the computer itself...
> You'll also have gained useful experience in the computer server
> hardware/software world and figure out what works for you and what
> doesn't. This will of course help when you look at the different
> computers on offer and the kind of platform they run off.

I could not agree more! The Squeezebox ecosystem is very mature, robust
and yet very flexible. As I stated earlier many audiophile music servers
are little more than an overpriced media server computer. They do not
offer Ethernet or WiFi streaming to other locations and depend on
sub-par third party programs to handle the music library management
functions.

Here are several good examples of how the Squeezebox ecosystem can be
used to good advantage, all based on my present set up.

1) Expandable - at present I have four (4) external hard drives
connected to the computer which is running LMS (Logitech Media Server)
and may soon be adding a fifth hard drive. LMS has no trouble seeing,
scanning or accessing these hard drives.

2) Streaming to multiple locations - at present I have seven (7)
Squeezebox devices located throughout my house and when I run iPeng on
either my iPhone or iPad, each of these then becomes yet another
"Squeezebox device", capable of accessing and playing audio file in my
LMS music library. In several of these locations I use some type
external DAC, either a stand alone DAC or the built-in DAC of a home
theater receiver. The ability to use an external DAC makes the
Squeezebox devices somewhat future proof.

3) Third party apps - this wonderful feature should NOT be overlooked.
At present I use both Moose and Muso to both select music to play and
control any of the various Squeezebox devices. Plus Muso provides handy
access to the graphic and information files that are an important part
of my music library. And of course iPeng - a first rate iPhone/iPad
controller app.

And speaking of Ipeng - I recently purchased a blue tooth "boom box" for
use on my backyard deck and by having iPeng turn my iPhone into a
Squeezebox player I can now stream any music from my LMS library to the
boom box. Pretty damn cool! (LMS -> WiFi -> iPhone running iPeng -> blue
tooth -> boom box (or any other blue tooth audio system).

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos