Archimago wrote:
> Interesting path. Wondering why you went back to the spinner from
> Transporter 3 years ago?
>
> I got my first Squeezebox (SB3) around the time they were introduced
> (2005) and have not looked back since! Still have a SACD player attached
> but haven't turned the thing on for >1 year. The only time I spin disks
> now is for ripping off the main computer...

I can't blame you. I consider myself a CD collector and for quite some
time I would ridicule those who spun a disc more than once (during the
ripping).  My intent was to get into SACD since it became clear to me
that there were more of interest (for both unique mastering and content)
than I'd originally thought.  I'm not one to spite myself.  Well, at
least not for too long!  I'd planned to stream redbook and hi-res PCM
and spin SACDs.  Then it became inconveniently clear that spinning a
redbook disc sounded better than when played through the DAC section
(via S/PDIF from Transporter).  I hadn't considered there could be a
difference and I sure didn't want to hear it.  So then I looked into how
that could happen and, of course, it came to light that the DAC input
section of players do not have the same path as it does from the
integrated transport.

Well, I wasn't going to give up even the slightest resolution.  I broke
away from streaming.

I'll be back in it before long.  Meantime, I've been adding music at a
pretty good rate and I listen more than ever.  System was "finished"
about 10 months ago.  Still buying more music and enjoying the spinning.
I'll know when the computer/server and DAC situation has sorted itself
out enough to make a move.  Fun times ahead!

Cary Audio 306 SACD Pro | Cary Audio SLP-05 | Cary Audio SA-200.2 |
Focal Diablo Utopia III
__Acoustic treatment: DIY Cylinder Bass traps | "Rule of Thirds" for
speaker & sweet spot position
__Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Big Silver Oval | Shunyata Venom series
power cords and power conditioning