atrocity wrote:

> It probably is the price that makes me wonder if I can do better.  I'm
> falling victim to the "It cost less than my car, it can't possibly be
> any good!" syndrome. :)
>
> One thing I'm really having shoved in my face lately is how frustrating
> analog could be.  I just transferred a nice 7-1/2 IPS reel from near the
> end of the pre-recorded days when they really sounded good.  The
> underlying sound quality is very nice indeed...but apparently something
> went wrong during the duplication and it's full of obvious wow.  And now
> I've come to realize that my cassette deck is apparently running
> slow...or, more accurately, is now running slower than it used to.  I
> don't know if it's wrong now or was wrong prior to its last trip to the
> shop...for all I know, the shop corrected a long-running problem, but
> now I can't play back decades of tapes accurately.  I've experimented
> with digital speed correction and found it OK on what was a pretty bad
> recording to begin with, I don't know if it will still sound good on
> something more demanding.

Don't worry about the price man :). As you know, price and accuracy are
not synonymous! I had a look at the R-05 and certainly the promotional
material sounds great even with the microphones. Line in I suspect must
be excellent especially if you're dealing with the sonic limitations of
LP and tape sources... Battery operated to boot. Didn't see any
measurements however.

Ahhh, the joys and pains of being an analogue man! I'm certainly glad to
be rid of all types of tape media - audio and video...

Archimago's Musings: (archimago.blogspot.com) A 'more objective'
audiophile blog.