I'm curious if anyone has compared recordings made via their computers
with something along the lines of a Roland R-05.  My first attempts at
digitizing were done in 1998 using a computer and were disastrous...too
many dropped samples.  I know that things have improved dramatically
since then, but I've never tried again, finding it easier first to use a
standalone CD recorder and later the Zoom H2 and now Roland R-05.  I've
heard lots of complaints about computers generating noise, yet it seems
like the computer route is how the "serious" people do their
digitizing.

I've found the little standalone recorders very easy to use and, to my
ears, they sound good.  I capture and post-process at 24/96, then use
SoX to downsample the finalized versions to 16/44.1.  I also keep the
raw files archived to Blu-ray in case I need to go back and fix
something (which has definitely happened).

Am I going to wake up some day and suddenly hate all my captures when I
finally hear whatever sonic disaster I've apparently been missing all
this time?