Pascal Hibon wrote:
> I can only say that my "vinyl rips" (recorded with my TC interface and
> Ableton) sound exactly the same as the vinyl. That is, as long as I
> didn't run it through 'clickrepair' (http://www.clickrepair.net/), which
> I only use when the record has a lot of pops and clicks. But I have no
> drop outs or anything.
> Everything is computer based these days. Ableton, Pro Tools, and many
> other software based solutions are very popular and are taking over the
> hardware mixers and recorders.

I should have been clear that I really just use the Roland for the
initial capture.  The more or less cassette deck like interface and ease
of connecting to any arbitrary component makes it easy to use.  But I
digitize vinyl (three turntables including one just for 78s), cassettes
and reels, so it's much easier for me to move the little recorder around
than the playback components.

Once the initial capture has been made, I immediately copy the WAV to
the computer to make it pretty.  I'm also a fan of ClickRepair, though
I've learned the hard way that you have to listen very closely to what
it's doing.  Sometimes it's so perfect it's almost like black magic,
other times it wipes out as much useful signal as noise.

I can't tell the difference between my captures and the records either
(well, thanks to cleanup, sometimes the captures are better!) but I was
curious if anyone with better ears than mine has any complaints with the
standalone devices.