Mnyb wrote:
> Ok but why ? Was it you that always had a constant upsamling going on or
> was it some other member . Or is t to defeat potential intersample overs
> ? I have for the last months tried to find out if I can produce any
> awerse of positive effect by not running the volume on the Touch at 100%
> when using its digital out to my Meridian system , just for these
> intersample overs . My processor is designed in 2004 so circuits for
> upsample may not be the most modern ( it samples everything to 24/96
> before applying volume and DRC , dithered volume ;) ).
>
> But it I have not done the most rigorous testing so it's still a null
> result I'm yet to hear any difference on any recording .
> Nb this will only manifest if a recording is such that it would provoke
> this issue in the filter and if my over sample filter is sensitive to
> this .
>
> Another effect , I'm now also personally convinced that the squeezeboxes
> volume control is transparent for human listeners at least at the higher
> volume settings regardless of how it's actually done in the software :)
> depending on total system gain it's probably fine all the way down ! on
> CD material the "problem" of no dither will probably only manifest when
> reaching bit 16 of 24 that's probably at a fairly low volume . ( cd
> stuff is padded with 8 zero bits by The player to make it 24 bit ).
>
> I'm ofcourse open to be totally wrong , that would not be the first time
> ! Anyone with more insight on the squeezeboxes volume control .

An instance of being totally wrong , when I was afflicted with the
audiophile bug I was convinced that 100% volume was the only way and bit
perfect was paramount to perfect sound. Well in some settings with many
DAC it can still be the best practice to run the system bitperfect  at
100% volume no doubt about that . But a slip on the volume control from
100% to 99% would not have a catastrophic effect on sq ;) in fact if you
compensate the volume reduction elsewhere you can't even hear the
difference.

This way of thinking can arise from when you used a computer as a source
then bitperfect output was also achieved when you managed to bypass
Windows kmixer and other horrible stuff on your OS . So bitperfect out
was achieved at the same time as defeating badly implemented resampling
etc .

Otherwise a good 24 bit volume control with dither should in every way
be superior to an analog one , as it behaves as an ideal analog control
for a fraction of the price . Besides try to keep channel balance in a
5.1 or 7.1 system in any other way....

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )