Thanks Mynb. I'm aware the 24th bit is a long way down but then with
30dB of digital attenuation it's nearer 18th bit in practice. I'd like
to either it, just to do it right. Audio nervosa perhaps but let's see
if I can rig up a variable way of doing this ... For me the point (as
for so many tweaks) is that it's technically better. I leave audibility
aside when I have technical reasons.

I have to check whether the [flac] part is really necessary, I added it
in whilst struggling, once I fixed the sox part I didn't try taking out
the flac again! I'll report back if no-one else does.

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch