mlsstl wrote:
> Apologies to rkrug.
>
> Cliveb is correct. It is the digital volume control of the Touch that I
> like to keep in its upper volume range when I'm listening critically.
> Unlike digital volume controls, resistance based analog volume controls
> don't directly lose resolution at their lower settings. The problem with
> many analog volume controls is that they don't track accurately between
> the left and right channels as you adjust them up and down. That can be
> solved by using hard-wired resistors for a fixed reduction setting or
> the more expensive variable potentiometers.

Yes but even the most expensive pot may not cut it in the lower range .
So even a pot is best used in its upper range .

I have only digital volume in my meridian setup, but correctly dithered
so I'm not worried about resolution at all . Besides tracking 5.1
channels with analog volume that would be near impossible .

You could say that you lose "resolution" in the lower range with a
digital volume ,but if correctly dithered it behaves like an analog
system the signal gently disappears in the noise floor no quantisation
artifacts . A correctly dithered digital system and an analog one is
analogues to each other ,but the digital one is more precise actually
"perfect" .

The squeezebox does not exactly do that in the very low volume range
,but with correct range range of gain in the rest of the system is so
beyond our hearing ,the volume is very low anyway ( + self dither ? )
that I would not worry

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )