Mnyb <mnyb.7fz...@no-mx.forums.slimdevices.com> writes:

> mlsstl wrote:
>> Apologies to rkrug.
>>
>> Cliveb is correct. It is the digital volume control of the Touch that I
>> like to keep in its upper volume range when I'm listening critically.
>> Unlike digital volume controls, resistance based analog volume controls
>> don't directly lose resolution at their lower settings. The problem with
>> many analog volume controls is that they don't track accurately between
>> the left and right channels as you adjust them up and down. That can be
>> solved by using hard-wired resistors for a fixed reduction setting or
>> the more expensive variable potentiometers.
>
> Yes but even the most expensive pot may not cut it in the lower range .
> So even a pot is best used in its upper range .

So in other words: the attenuators (or actually the mute button which is
in the amp) should make a difference. I think I am getting closer to
understand all this and will switch the mute button on again...

> I have only digital volume in my meridian setup, but correctly dithered
> so I'm not worried about resolution at all . Besides tracking 5.1
> channels with analog volume that would be near impossible .
>
> You could say that you lose "resolution" in the lower range with a
> digital volume ,but if correctly dithered it behaves like an analog
> system the signal gently disappears in the noise floor no quantisation
> artifacts . A correctly dithered digital system and an analog one is
> analogues to each other ,but the digital one is more precise actually
> "perfect" .

OK. I can follow this argument.

> The squeezebox does not exactly do that in the very low volume range
> ,but with correct range range of gain in the rest of the system is so
> beyond our hearing ,the volume is very low anyway ( + self dither ? )
> that I would not worry

As I said - the volume control on iPeng is always in the upper third -
so I should have no problem there. If I now switch the Mute on on my
amplifier, the volume setting is also in the upper half - so in the
middle of the potentiometer.

Thanks for all this, I have learned quite a bit,

Rainer

> Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x
> MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3
> sub.
> Bedroom/Office: Boom
> Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
> Misc use: Radio (with battery)
> iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
> (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
> server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux
>
> http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de
PGP: 0x0F52F982