Julf wrote:
> Yes, domestic audio went for very compromised standards (low signal
> levels, unbalanced connections etc) basically for cost reasons. It is
> funny how many audiophiles now claim it was because of sound quality
> reasons - anything labelled "pro" has to be compromised, sacrificing
> ultimate sound quality for "secondary" considerations such as stability,
> reliability, and foolproof-ness...

I always thought things like balanced connections weren't necessary for
domestic audio, due to the much shorter connection spans and the average
home being a far less hostile environment than the average studio.

My Arcam preamp has both and they sound the same, perhaps if the power
amp was several metres further away, it might make a difference?

Also, most 'audiophiles' are right up there with 'creationists' when it
comes to reality...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio