arnyk wrote:
> Balanced provides several benefits. The 6 dB improvement in SNR is due
> to the effective doubling of the signal voltage.
>
> An additional very substantial improvement (easily up to 60 dB)  can
> occur when common mode interference and noise is cancelled out by the
> balanced but out-of phase signals.

Yes the common mode rejection .

Bryston describe this in thier FAQs
http://bryston.com/pages/faq.html

Basically there must be a summation point in each component the to make
common mode rejection happen .

There was a fad for a while ( Krell and other usual suspect ) to take
the balanced concept to far just because the audiophiles got whiff off
it and misunderstood the purpose , to reject noise in long cables
between components .
In your home with very short components and almost noise free
environment , try a studio ( or process industry where I work ) for real
noise levels....

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
(spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )