drmatt wrote:
> RE: dvd-a etc
> Me, because I'd rather have a single disc with four or twelve hours of
> audio than yet another box set that costs fifty quid.

Avoiding unnecessary and wasteful so-called high resolution formats
allows that to be accomplished.

> As for flac compression ratio, let me Google that for you.. wikipedia
> quotes "50-60%" of original file size, MLP quote "1.5:1". I'm sure I
> don't need to explain the difference between these numbers.

Simple algebra shows that 1.5:1 (MLP) is the same as 66% of original
file size. The difference between 60% of original file size (FLAC in
some cases) and 66% of original file size (MLP in come cases)  can
easily be explained by specsmanship and/or cherry-picking examples. It
is not that much. regardless.

In contrast simply using uncompressed 44/16  as opposed to 24/192 yields
much higher space gains.  1 channel of 44/16 is 704 kb/sec, while 1
channel of 24/96 gobbles space at 2304  kb/sec and 24/192 at 4608
kb/sec. I believe that simply using a sane 44/16 format gives you file
size of about 30% or 15% depending which wasteful so-called high
resolution format you choose as your baseline.

I've used FLAC many times, see its value, but its compression, like most
other lossless compression techniques is highly dependent on choice of
program material. Not a fault, just how these things work.