Disclaimer: I may be over simplifying things a bit for the sake of
clarity

Yes I know an odd title but here's the issue that I'm trying to
resolve:

An orchestra is recorded while playing a symphony and the dynamic range
of the performance is a maximum of 65 db above the noise floor - so if
the noise floor is at 30db then the maximum dynamic range required to
record the performance without distortion at the peak volume would be 95
db (30db + 65 db).

The maximum dynamic range of a 16 bit file is 96 db and that of 24 bit
is 144 db

So how does placing the above symphony recording into a 24 bit file
versus a 16 bit file increase the dynamic range of the recording?

Okay so I realize that putting the above symphony recording into a 24
bit file does not actually increase the inherent dynamic range of the
recording and this the point I'm trying to make. To put it another way,
I don't believe that any listening tests, either double blind or
sighted, are even need to determine if this is true since it is just a
purely mathematical function - increasing the bit depth of a digital
audio recording cannot and does not increase the dynamic range of the
music contained in the digital audio file. I like to think of the whole
thing using an envelope analogy - the recording of the performance would
be a letter on an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper with the 16 bit file being
a 9" X 12" envelope and the 24 bit file being an 11" X 14" envelope -
the letter nicely fits into both envelopes however the size of the
letter remains the same.

Am I missing something or is the whole 16 bit versus 24 bit for a fully
edited and mixed recording just another completely false marketing
claim?

Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. &
sub
Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1
& Energy sub
Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos