TerryS wrote:
> The other thing to keep in mind is that you would need to leave some
> headroom at the high end unless you knew in advance what the highest
> peak level of the performance was going to be.  If you guess too low,
> you will clip on the peak.  If you guess too high, you will be 'throwing
> away' that much dynamic range.  So you might want 10 or 20 dB extra just
> to be sure you stay out of clipping.  Then your 65 dB symphony would
> need to be recorded with 75 or 85 dB of dynamic range available.
At the recording stage, yes. I don't think anyone would argue against
recording at 24 bits. Apart from the headroom issue, it also allows lots
of editing and DSP to be done without accumulating quantisation noise.
But once it's all done and dusted, there's no point packaging it for
distribution at anything more than 16 bit.

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A