adamdea wrote:
> Just one comment on this- I'm not sure it's quite right to assume that
> adding quantification noise at the same level as the noise floor of the
> recording will have no effect. Surely it will double the noise floor.

I sense a misunderstanding of quantization (the correct term - not
quantification) noise. Quantization noise is not added in, rather it is
an inherent component of the digitized signal. Strictly speaking calling
it a noise is a questionable use of the word noise, as noise is usually
a random signal, while quantization noise is not random but rather 100%
periodic and predictable. Quantization error or quantization distortion
would be more accurate terms. At the most quantization  error is pseudo
random since it is actually 100% periodic and predictable.

In the lexicon of electronics, it would probably be more logical to call
it a distortion. Calling it a noise is an artifact of the days when it
was not fully understood, and thought to be a noise. The convention
continues to be used. Everybody recognizes the word as an identifier
even though it is not a 100% accurate use of the terminology.

The peak value of quantization error is 1/2 of the LSB. Its average or
RMS values are proportionately less because RMS and average measurements
tend to average out the peaks.

If the signal is dithered, the total noise in the signal need not
increase, because the true function of dither is to overcome the
periodic nature of quantization error, and replace it with something
that is perceived by the human ear to be random.