Just one comment on this- I'm not sure it's quite right to assume that
adding quantification noise at the same level as the noise floor of the
recording will have no effect. Surely it will double the noise floor.
Presumably the logical specification is that the added quantisation
noise should not perceptibly increase the noise floor of the recording.
I'm not sure how fare below the recording noise floor it would need to
be not to increase the total noise perceptibly any ideas 10dB?

Another point. It has always seemed to me that Bob Stuart, in his
well-known paper explaining why we might need hi rez audio, pretty much
proved why we didn't. He took the curve fro just perceptible sound at
various frequencies and then took the 16 bit noise floor assuming that
the stereo was amplified to play at 120dB peak. This shows that at that
level the quantisation noise is just perceptible in the most sensitive
zone.[but not if you noise shape- it is completely undetectable then.
And this of course ignores masking and the question of the level of your
amp's noise floor.] But it can quite easily be seen from the same graph
that if you are laying only a few dBs lower there is no problem. And I
know for a fact that I always listen at below that level - ergo........

So -"buy hi rez so that you don't run the risk of just hearing the
quantisation noise when playing a silent passage on a really good
recording on your hifi at full volume."  I should have been in
advertising.