ralphpnj wrote:

> An orchestra is recorded while playing a symphony and the dynamic range
> of the performance is a maximum of 65 db above the noise floor - so if
> the noise floor is at 30db then the maximum dynamic range required to
> record the performance without distortion at the peak volume would be 95
> db (30db + 65 db).

IME close to being a real world example. Most adult audiences are
comfortable when the louder passages (but no necessarily the peaks) run
in the 90-95 dB range.

30 dB is a very quiet concert room, but put an audience into it, and
just their breathing and body noises will add another 10-25 dB. If the
room is empty, its the middle of the night in a quiet part of town, the
HVAC is turned off, and the streets are free of traffic and the air is
free of aid traffic, lower numbers such as 20 dB might be logged.

OTOH, your living room is probably running more like 40 dB at most
times.

> The maximum dynamic range of a 16 bit file is 96 db and that of 24 bit
> is 144 db.

With dither, maybe 1-3 poorer than that.

The recording gear adds appreciable noise of its own. The best recording
mics have equivalent noise of just a few dB, but a typical recording mic
will have equivalent noise on the order of 18 dB. If minimal micing is
used, there are only from 2 to 6 mics active, but that will raise the
noise level by from 3 to 5 dB. If multiple micing is used then the
background noise due to the mics increases by 3 dB times the logarithm
base 2 of the number of mics at best. IOW add 3 dB for the second mic, 6
dB if there are 4 mics, 9 dB if there are 8 mics, etc.   For low
frequency noises that are in phase for all the mics, the backgound noise
adds linearly as the number of mics increase. IOW, YMMV.

> So how does placing the above symphony recording into a 24 bit file
> versus a 16 bit file increase the dynamic range of the recording?

If the recording engineer uses a dynamic range expander or rides the
gain, then a recording's dynamic range can exceed that of the live
performance.

> Okay so I realize that putting the above symphony recording into a 24
> bit file does not actually increase the inherent dynamic range of the
> recording and this the point I'm trying to make. To put it another way,
> I don't believe that any listening tests, either double blind or
> sighted, are even need to determine if this is true since it is just a
> purely mathematical function - increasing the bit depth of a digital
> audio recording cannot and does not increase the dynamic range of the
> music contained in the digital audio file. I like to think of the whole
> thing using an envelope analogy - the recording of the performance would
> be a letter on an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of paper with the 16 bit file being
> a 9" X 12" envelope and the 24 bit file being an 11" X 14" envelope -
> the letter nicely fits into both envelopes however the size of the
> letter remains the same.
>
> Am I missing something or is the whole 16 bit versus 24 bit for a fully
> edited and mixed recording just another completely false marketing
> claim?

It is very rare case where doing a good job of converting a 24 bit
recording to 16 bits makes an audible difference.  This article
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-audio-theory-setup-chat/2370801-test-your-ability-hear-high-res-audio.html
shows tests you can do yourself to verify this: